Let there be light
At the beginning of the Bible it states, “There was darkness over the face of the deep, and God said, ‘Let there be light,’ and there was light!”
- But I’m a “Dreamer” who has paid for my education, gotten a job and created a life here after my parents brought me as a baby to the US from Mexico. Now I may be deported… so now what…darkness.
- I was living in the Florida Keys and my house was destroyed by Irma. Everything is gone. I don’t know what to do…darkness.
- I’m a twenty-five year old man living in Seattle. My life has been turned upside down by heroin. I keep trying to overcome the habit, have burned bridges with my family and now, I have nowhere to turn…darkness.
- I just came from the doctor. She said cancer, and it is stage four. I waited too long and now, with three children who count on me… darkness.
- I’m homeless, or living in my car, or haven’t enough food, or am clinically depressed or even paranoid, or I’m losing my job, or I’m sixty-seven and don’t have enough for retirement, or even feel lost when it comes to my faith … darkness…
All are levels of darkness and there are so many more. Darkness can cover anyone at almost any time. It can come in multiple shades with varied intensities. We’ve all felt its presence. It could be personal, financial, familial, physical, community-centered, something we feel regarding our country, or we find it somewhere in a situation in the world. No matter where or why, it’s still darkness. And it is now up to us to be the light that shines in the darkness. It is what we are and what we do…in what is mentioned above and so much more.